5 Steps to Chick Fostering and Adopting
- Sidestreams buys day old female chicks. We make brooder boxes using plastic totes with lights, feed, and watering dish.
- We show families how to care for 8-10 “foster chicks.” Main things are feeding, watering, changing bedding, and keeping them warm.
- New chicken keepers prepare their coops (or buy one built by LCS students and volunteers).
- 6-10 weeks after fostering chicks, they will be regathered and “adopted,” into their permanent homes.
- You have the choice to adopt your foster chicks or let someone else to adopt.
- Madisonville residents do not have to pay to foster and if you choose to keep your chicks, you may keep 3-4 for free. Each additional bird is $5.
- If you choose not to foster chicks, you can still purchase chickens on adoption day for $5 per bird.
- Hens lay eggs at about 6 months.
Still interested? Awesome. Sign- up here. Please specify whether you’re interested in only fostering.