5 Easy Steps to Getting a Garden Through Us
- Sign-up on the online or in person. You might be getting this letter because you signed up; if so, you’ve already done step one.
- Attend a gardening class, unless you are already an experienced gardener. Classes are short and painless, held on Thursdays, 6:30pm-7:30pm and Saturdays, 10:30am-11:30am at Lighthouse Community School (6100 Desmond Street) through May. No need to sign up. Classes begin in the parking lot in good weather and in a classroom when it is cold or wet. Seeds are free and available at all classes.
- Pay the $50 garden fee, which includes lumber to build the raised garden bed, wonderfully rich soil and seeds/plants. Fee can be paid at class or when we build the garden. Don’t have the $50? Volunteering with the program can waive the fee. *Gardens in communities neighboring Madisonville can be built for an additional fee.
- We will contact you to schedule a building time; either a weekday after work, or a weekend. Our build team will work with you to decide where the best placement for your garden will be considering sun, water, fencing, etc.
- Reach out for help, our Garden Mentors will have “office hours” at the 6001 Chandler St. garden. You can drop-by to get answers and advice; bring a bug or plant leaf you want identified. Take advantage of our seed swaps, plant giveaways, classes and community parties.
Want to share this info? Here’s an easy to print brochure with all of our information, Intro Brochure.